Liebster Award nomination
Thanks to Eat, Live, Travel and REPEAT for nominating us for the Liebster Award. It feels great to have been nominated after just a few months of blogging!
What inspires you to travel the most and why?
We have a natural urge to travel, to explore new places, try new foods and meet new people. For us, every travel experience is valuable as it helps us discover more about history, geography, culture and, more often than not, ourselves! We find that we become better versions of ourselves when we're travelling; what stressed us out sitting a desk in a glass office becomes meaningless once we're on the road - it's put into perspective.
What are your three top travel destinations and why?
As always, this is a tough question, but...
Italy is incredible. The architecture, the food, the language, the landscape... we could travel Italy for a year and never be bored (or hungry!).
Australia, where we are currently based on a working holiday visa, is one of the most diverse countries we've ever visited. Our two months in Western Australia revealed mountains, beaches, jungles, gorges and desert, and we loved it. Although an expensive country to travel, it's so worth it.
What has been your best travel experience to date?
It's far too hard to pick one because there are so many. It's often the little moments that we remember, the flickers of wonder, such as swimming alongside a turtle that came up for air off Gili Air, or crunching through autumn leaves in the Carpathian Mountains in Romania.
...and the worst?
Throwing up consistently for about 24 hours when we were suffering from exhaustion after conquering Mount Kinabalu. Thanks to Lavender Hostel for being the most perfect hosts we could have wanted during those awful nights!
What is your impression of Eat, Travel, Live and REPEAT blog and what recommendations would you give to improve it?
Across Land & Sea are visual beings, so more pictures would be fabulous! We love the reviews; it's a great way to remember places that you loved and places that you perhaps would not visit again.
If money was not a consideration and you have a month to travel with, where would you go and why?
We'd love to travel the French Polynesian islands (think Samoa, Bora Bora...) or the Caribbean.
What is your best travel souvenir and where is it from?
Rachel purchased some incredible turquoise leather boots from Fes in Morocco, which were handmade in a small stall in the medina. They still need breaking in but she thinks they're too pretty to wear...
What qualities do you look for in a travel partner?
It's all about balance. If one person wants to party whilst the other is an early bird, long-term travel would not be smooth sailing. We have travelled together for many years now and having the same interests and values makes it an enjoyable experience.
How are you motivating others to travel?
We hope that our guides, photographs and stories inspire others to make the most of their travels. Whether it's a two-week holiday away from the office or a long-term trip, we want our experiences to help other travellers to get under the skin of the locations they're visiting.
What are your top five travel tips?
1. Eat local food - No matter how disgusting it looks, just try it! We have devoured some questionable-looking meals that have been incredible.
2. Treat yourself - Even if you are a budget traveller, don't miss out on things you really want to do. Travelling with limited funds is fine, but if you're not doing the things you love whilst your travelling, is it really worth it?
3. Be an ethical traveller - Avoid attractions that support animal cruelty, take only photographs and don't litter!
4. Look after yourself - Travelling is exciting and it can be easy to forget about your health. Bring a full first aid kit and try to eat healthily and exercise on the road.
5. Pack the right kit - Purchasing the right backpack is the first (and in our opinion, most important, step). Make sure it fits well and has all the features that are important to you. Then, make sure you're bringing practical items such as hiking shorts, waterproof trousers, a sun hat, etc. depending on your location. They might not be as fashionable as those denim hotpants, but you can thank us later.
The rules of the Liebster Award are as follows:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you
- Answer their questions
- Nominate 5-10 other travel bloggers who ideally have a following of under 1000 on a social media channel
- Ask them 5-10 questions of your own
We have nominated the following bloggers; we look forward to seeing your answers to our questions!
Tell us about your blog - how did it start and why did you decide to write one?
What has been your favourite travel experience?
... and your least favourite/most disappointing?
What's on your bucket list for travel in 2017?
What country are you NOT interested in visiting?
What are some of the best/most memorable things that you've eaten during your travels?
What do you miss about home when you're on the road?
If you could give three pieces of advice to fellow travellers, what would they be?